For over twenty five years Designer Rugs have complimented the aesthetics of residential homes and commercial spaces throughout the world with rugs of exceptional quality and unique designs.
By working in collaboration with leading Australian artists and designers, this innovative and design focused company has earned an outstanding reputation for producing custom made rugs for private clients and commercial professionals alike.
Designer Rugs also provides customers looking for ready made rugs with affordable and creative collections of hand made rugs in a wide variety of styles, influences and sizes.
- Designer Rugs begin manufacturing hand tufted rugs in the Sydney suburb of Marrickville in 1986.
- The company’s first showroom opens in the historic Rocks area, Sydney.
- Designer Rugs is commissioned by St Patrick’s Cathedral, Melbourne to create a custom made rug for Pope John Paul II’s Australian visit.
- The company begins collaborating with leading designers including Annie Georgeson, John Coburn and Jimmy Pike – the first of many.
- Designer Rugs is commissioned by Parliament House to design a custom made rug for the Queen’s Bicentennial visit.
- The Australian Embassy in Tokyo and Paris, and the Australian High Commission in Hong Kong, all commissioned custom made rugs from Designer Rugs.
- A creative collaboration with celebrated architect Harry Seidler begins, making Seidler himself an advocate for the company’s fine work.
- Designer Rug’s largest showroom to date opens in St Kilda, Melbourne.
- Creative rug collections with a variety of Australian artists including Annie Georgeson, Simon Palmer and Linda Jackson.
- The company collaborates with Akira Isogawa who designs his first internationally acclaimed Designer Rug collection which continues to be heralded today.
- Designer Rugs collaborates with iconic jewellery designers, Dinosaur Designs to produce a textual range of rugs.
- Launch of exclusive collections by Julie Paterson of Cloth and Georgia Chapman of Vixen.
- The company engages with TAFE NSW through their student design competition ‘Floored’, which aims to educate and promote excellence in surface design.
- A series of rugs are designed for the Biennale of Sydney and placed in various locations throughout the city.
- The company’s Parnell showroom opens in Auckland New Zealand with interior solutions company Corporate Culture.
- A limited edition range by the late indigenous artist Minnie Pwerle is launched. One of the designs features in Tommy Hilfiger’s headquarters, Amsterdam.
- Launch of collections by Catherine Martin, Annie Georgeson and blueandbrown.
- New showroom opens in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.
- Designer Rugs commences an ongoing relationship with the International School of Colour and Design through the launch of ‘Art on the Floor’ student rug competition.
- Launch of Easton Pearson designer range.
- The Grand Hyatt in Melbourne commissions Designer Rugs as part of their major refurbishment.
- Laucala Island Resort Fiji commissions over 60 rugs for their new and exclusive resort owned by Red Bull’s Dietrich Mateschitz.
- A limited edition collection by Wedgwood is launched in the presence of special guest Lord Wedgwood.
- Exclusive collections by Greg Natale and Alex Perry are unveiled.
- A stunning second collection by Dinosaur Designs is showcased at the exclusive Tim Olsen Gallery, Sydney.
- The first Evolve Awards industry design competition is held. The ‘ID Collection’ is released featuring designs from finalists, winners and judges.